Typically, a furnace will last up to 20 years with proper maintenance and regular inspections. If your furnace is exhibiting any of the following signs, it may be time to replace the system sooner.
Be on the lookout for these indicators:
- Rising heating costs- If your unit is losing efficiency and costing more to operate, a replacement may be more economical.
- A flickering or yellow pilot light- This sign indicates excess carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas that can cause serious harm to your family. If you notice this sign, call a professional ASAP.
- Soot around the furnace- This is another sign of excess carbon monoxide. This should also be taken seriously and handled by a professional as soon as possible.
- Frequent furnace repairs in the past two years- Over time, the cost of repairs will begin to add up. In these cases, a replacement is the better option.
- Cold spots or uneven heating in the home- Your heater may be losing heating power. In these cases, a replacement will provide a more reliable heating system.
- Structural issues- With wear and tear, your unit can sustain physical damage such as dents or leaks. If your furnace is damaged, it should be replaced.
If you notice any of the following issues with your furnace, call a professional right away. Your trusted Mobile furnace technician from Hembree Heating & Air Conditioning can tell you exactly what you need to ensure your furnace is working efficiently and safely.